Wharfedale Typhon-AX8-BT Aktiivikaiutin
In ancient mythology, Typhon was a giant who brought fear to his enemies. From a similar era to the Titans, it is said that the God Typhon had the power to create and control massive wind tornadoes in his battles. Mythology also often refers to him as being invincible.
Power, control and “invincibility” are all features which the new Typhon active loudspeakers have been designed around.
IP54 certification assures that the product has
- Limited protection against dust ingress.
- Protection against splash water from any direction.
The picture shows some of the extreme testing that goes into Typhon series certification. All of this means that you can have full confidence installing a Typhon in extreme conditions.
Bluetooth and TWS stereo linking
The Typhon-AX8-BT features aptX Bluetooth input connectivity and stereo linking which makes setup with mobile devices simple and cable free.
Simply pair your Bluetooth audio source (such as a smart phone or laptop) with a Typhon-AX8-BT and thats it! High quality aptX streaming makes connection easy.
Typhon-AX8-BT however also features a TWS STEREO LINK mode. This allows two Typhon-AX8-BT's to communicate with each other to create a stereo pair.
The two separate Class D power amps (600w continuous for the LF and 120w continuous for the HF) deliver huge output power while keeping the overall weight to minimum.
Bi-amplification means that each amplifier is perfectly matched to the driver it is connected to. This leads to more defined sound quality with crisper highs and more impressive lows.
The efficiency of the amplifier stages means that Typhon uses convection cooling and has no need for an internal fan. This results in a more reliable product with quieter operation.
A completely new polypropylene cabinet design with a full frontal steel grille houses the most advanced active loudspeaker ever created by Wharfedale Pro.
This injection moulded cabinet is carefully engineered to feature 5 carry handles making transportation easy and well balanced.
For on stage or for fixed installation, the carefully designed hardware of Typhon makes setup and positioning easy and effective.
Need to wall mount or fly? With 8 x M6 plus a rear M8 rigging point and a 35mm pole socket compatible with the WPB-2 bracket, Typhon fits almost anywhere.
Custom Wharfedale Pro transducers have been selected for Typhon.
The custom compression driver features a large 1.75” voice coil. This is coupled to a 100° x 80° waveguide for smooth HF dispersion.
The custom Wharfedale Pro 8” LF transducer has a newly designed ferrite core, uses flat coil windings to aid cooling, and features a moisture rejecting cone material which allows Typhon to be used in damp or humid conditions.
New internal DSP algorithms generate a sound stage which surpasses the dimensions of the cabinet.
FLAT : The Flat mode is ‘the truth’. This mode is ideal for when connecting guitar effects processors directly to a Typhon-AX8. Full Range, Flat Response. Simply YOUR sound.
MONITOR ; This mode rolls of low frequencies which are not needed when Typhon-AX8 is on the floor. High frequencies are also attenuated to reduce risk of feedback.
BASS ; By pushing the bass frequencies, this mode is ideal when Typhon-AX8 is being used at lower volumes. It delivers a more powerful sound without having to turn the volume up.
PUNCH ; A ‘crisp’ and ‘tight’ DSP mode which gives the impression of power and tightness. Use this when you really need to cut through.
An optional high quality padded tour bag with unzippable front grille and velcro access points is available.
The Typhon can still be used while inside the tourbag and cables can be easily connected because the back panel of the tourbag opens up.
These optional accesories keep the Typhon looking as good as it did when it left our factories!
To allow for easy connection to ‘consumer’ level devices, Typhon 8” models feature standard domestic stereo RCA inputs.
In addition, XLR / 6.3mm jack balanced combi connectors have been selected for both input channels.
Everyone loves BASS !
A perfect partner for a Typhon 8" is the T-Sub-AX15B.
A 15" active subwoofer with 700w continuous (1400w peak) which delivers a Max SPL @1m of 129dB.
Hold onto your socks!
The combination of a Typhon and a T-Sub-AX15B will blow them off!
- Model Name: Typhon-AX8-BT
- System Type: Active 8" 2-way
- Frequency Response (+/-3dB): 65Hz-20kHz
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 60Hz-20kHz
- Maximum SPL (peak@1m): 127dB
- Sensitivity @ 1W / 1m): 96dB
Low Frequency Transducer
- Size (mm / inches): 203.8mm / 8"
- Voice-Coil Size (mm / inches): 65mm / 2.5"
- Rated Impedance: 4Ω
High Frequency Transducer
- HF Driver Type: Compression Driver
- Coil Size (mm / inches): 44mm / 1.75"
- Exit Size (mm / inches): 25mm / 1"
- Diaphragm Material: Titanium
- Rated Impedance: 8Ω
- Nominal Coverage (H x V): "Hybrid Symmetry Horn 100°x80°"
- Amplifier Design: 2 x Class D
- Power rating: 1440w Peak (1200W LF+240W HF), 720W Continuous (600W LF + 120W HF)
- DSP Controls---D-EQ: FLAT/MONITOR/BASS/PUNCH
- Power On Protection: Yes
- Thermal Protection: Yes
- Low Line Voltage Shut Down: Yes
- Driver Protection: Yes
- DC Protection: Yes
- Short Protection: Yes
- Clip Limiter: Yes
- Limiter Indicator: Yes
- Power Indicator: Yes
- Input A - type: Balanced/RCA/Bluetooth(aptX,with link Stereo)
- Input Sensitivity: 775mV (0dBu)
- Maximum Input Level: 4V
- Input Connector: 2 x XLR/ 6.3mm combi jack, 2 x RCA (Line/MIC)
- Input Impedance: 20K ohms
- Line Output Connector: XLR
- Loop Gain: 0dB
AC Power details
- Power Supply: 220~240VAC/100~120VAC 50/60Hz
Rigging / Bracket / Mounting Options: 8 x M6 (1 x M8 Back) threaded inserts
- Pole-mount receptacle with lock screw
- Optional WPB-2 wall-mount bracket
- Handles: 4 carry handles (on top and bottom side)
- Enclosure Material and finish: Injection Moulded Polypropylene
- Colour Options: Black paint
- Grille Material & Finish: steel
Dimensions - Unpacked
- Height: 433.6mm
- Width Front : 256mm
- Width Rear: 100.1mm
- Depth: 240mm
- Net Weight: 10.7kg